Why Putin Isn’t Celebrating the Bolshevik RevolutionBreaking News
tags: Putin, Bolshevik Revolution
In 2016, President Vladimir Putin proudly participated in the 75th anniversary of the beginning of World War II commemorations, poignantly holding a picture of his father during the “immortal regiments” march.
And yet an even more auspicious date is fast approaching—the centennial of the 1917 Russian revolution, the seminal event that set the terms of the global ideological debate for most of the 20th century.
The centenary of the Russian revolution, therefore, should be a time of major reflection, and indeed, historians in Russia and around the world are marking the occasion with conferences and reappraisals of this crucial anniversary.
Vladimir Putin has also called for an honest assessment of the Russian revolution, yet no matter what the results of these studies, they are unlikely to enter Putin’s political narrative.
Putin has already chosen what he needs from the Soviet past: great power status, control of the commanding heights of the economy, victory in World War II and national stability. The upcoming centennial of the Russian revolution invariably upsets this selected memory and will be more disruptive for Putin than therapeutic.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History