White House Calls Out Las Vegas Professor for Saying After Mass Shooting That Trump's Election Incited ViolenceHistorians in the News
tags: Trump, Mass Shooting, Las Vegas shooting, Tessa Winkelmann
The White House says a University of Nevada-Las Vegas assistant professor should be “ashamed of herself” for telling her students four days after the Las Vegas mass shooting that “people will die” because of President Donald Trump’s election.
Tessa Winkelmann told her history class that she predicted Trump’s election would lead to death. Her comments came after Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and injured hundreds on the Las Vegas Strip, located minutes away from the university campus.
"I don’t know that these events would have inevitably happened whether or not he got elected, but he has rhetorical powers every president has to encourage or to discourage [violence]," Winkelmann said to her class on Thursday in a video obtained by the Las Vegas-Review Journal.
Winkelmann did not explicitly mention the Las Vegas shooting in the video, but she referred to how Trump “threatened to declare violence against North Korea” as rhetoric leading to violence.
“And words, especially if they are coming from someone who is president, have consequences,” she said.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders called out Winkelmann in an interview with the Journal. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Alabama's Capitol is a Crime Scene, with a 120 Year Coverup
- Thank a Hungry Badger for Discovering a Vast Cache of Roman Coins
- The Soldiers Came Home Sick. The Government Denied It Was Responsible
- Is the Challenge to Madison Cawthorn's Re-Election Eligibility For Real?
- Healthy Democracies Don't Scapegoat Their Teachers
- Michigan Professor's Intro Video Stunt Leads to Suspension (content: language)
- New Book Asks if Exercise is a Path to Power for Women
- The Indomitable Rev. Addie L. Wyatt
- National Library of Medicine Announces 2022 History Talks
- State Standards are Failing to Teach Reconstruction and Erasing the Black Freedom Struggle