Anti-Semitism Is on the Rise, Germany's Leader Warns on Holocaust Remembrance DayBreaking News
tags: Germany, Angela Merkel, antisemitism, Holocaust Remembrance Day
German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a warning about what she called a “shameful” and rising level of anti-Semitic intolerance, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.
Speaking on the official government podcast, Merkel stressed the importance of highlighting intolerance because of a recent rise in anti-Jewish and other hate crimes. Her remarks came on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, marking the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the most infamous Nazi concentration camp.
"Anti-Semitism, racism and the hatred of others" are rising, Merkel said, adding that she planned to introduce a government commissioner role to deal specifically with anti-Semitic issues.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Family and Kansas History Converge at Nicodemus Reunion
- Law is Unclear Whether Public College Faculty Have Free Speech Rights in Classroom
- Recovering the Story of the Black Men who were the Nation's First Paramedics
- U of Idaho Advises Faculty of Legal Jeopardy for Discussing Abortion in Classrooms
- The Long Shadow of Pinochet Over Chile's Constitutional Referendum
- Misha Matsumoto Yee is Gilder Lehrman's History Teacher of the Year
- Aaron Burr: The Highest Ranking US Official to be Charged with Treason – So Far?
- When Italian Immigrants were Tricked into Debt Peonage in the Jim Crow South
- Joshua Tait: Will Thiel-Backed Extremists Torpedo GOP Senate Hopes?
- Marcus Weaver-Hightower on the Politics of School Lunch