Condo built on Charleston's last slave trading wharf markets history — without mentioning slaveryBreaking News
tags: slavery, Charleston
Charleston's newest condominium development, The Gadsden, drips with references to history.
It's named for one of the city's most prominent 18th century residents, Christopher Gadsden, and it's being built on top of the wharf he built.
Its marketing materials even tout the wharf's size — the "largest built by one man in America."
comments powered by Disqus
- 1989-2001: America's "Lost Weekend" When the Nation Blew its Shot at Peace and Prosperity
- Before the Tragedy, Uvalde Was the Site of a Major School Walkout. Will That History Be Lost?
- Preserving Local History in Water Valley, Mississippi
- The Belated Return of Lumumba's Tooth Shows the Tenacity of Colonialism
- The Labor Upsurge Calls Us to Rethink Organizing Rules