Professor Removed Then Reinstated Over Discussion on RaceHistorians in the News
tags: history, academia, Race, professor
Louisiana Tech University briefly removed an instructor of history from teaching over class discussions on race and other topics before reinstating him this month. The instructor, Michael Savage, did not immediately respond to an interview request. According to student and faculty accounts, Savage asked students in a course this quarter to reflect on what it’s like to wake up every day in the U.S. as someone of their respective racial group. The follow-up discussion included a discussion of colonization. A student’s parent allegedly complained to the administration about an intimidating learning environment, and Savage was removed as instructor for two sections of a world history course.
Drew McKevitt, an associate professor in Savage’s department, said on Twitter that Savage also faced a complaint from last quarter about introducing such topics as impeachment into class talks, and that this factored into his removal. McKevitt and other faculty members expressed concern about Savage’s academic freedom and due process internally and on social media last week as students petitioned for his reinstatement. Louisiana Tech said in a statement that it cannot discuss individual personnel matters but that it is "obligated to ensure that each student feels safe in the living and learning environment."
comments powered by Disqus
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel