Sanders Bets on Biden Debate ImplosionBreaking News
tags: Democratic Party, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, 2020 Election
Virtually the entire Democratic presidential primary has been predicated on one underlying assumption: the eventual collapse of Joe Biden.
More than a dozen of his erstwhile opponents bet their campaigns on it, and he’s proven them all wrong. But his last serious opponent standing, Bernie Sanders, is still clinging to the same belief — and that it will finally happen on Sunday night, under the bright lights of their one-on-one debate.
To revive his campaign, Sanders needs to prove he’s the best candidate to take on President Donald Trump and lead the country at a time of duress, his aides and allies say. But they also acknowledge privately it’s going to take more than that — namely, for the gaffe-prone Biden to stumble.
“In the best-case scenario, Bernie dominates the debate and the arguments. He has one or two good one-liners,” said Mark Longabaugh, a former senior adviser to Sanders’ 2016 campaign. “And obviously the flip side would be Biden has a lackluster debate and maybe makes a mistake. All that coming together maybe causes some pause and hesitation on the part of voters.”
comments powered by Disqus
- With Students Back on Campus, Faculty Push Back Against COVID Policies They Consider Inadequate
- How Hong Kong's Elite Have Embraced a Shifting Narrative on Tiananmen Square
- Discovery of Human Footprints Pushes Back Date of Earliest Humans in Americas
- Ghana, WEB DuBois Museum Foundation to Partner on Museum, Research Center
- George Holliday Dies at 61, Taped LAPD Beating of Rodney King
- The Curious Task of Preserving Darwin's Beans and Butterflies
- Local Professor Building History of San Diego's Japanese Americans
- Art History Prof. Recognizes Lost Masterpiece in Local Church
- Rebel is Right: Reassessing the Cultural Revolution
- US COVID Death Count Surpasses Estimates of 1918 Influenza