Have the Olympics Ever Been Canceled? Here's the HistoryBreaking News
tags: Japan, Sports History, coronavirus, Olympic Games
The 2020 Olympic Games will be postponed by a year because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe reached an agreement with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President on Tuesday.
An estimated 10,000 athletes had been scheduled to march into Tokyo’s national stadium for the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics, and about 600,000 overseas visitors had been expected to flock to the Japanese capital for the world’s largest sporting event, which was set to run July 24 through August 9....
Since the first modern Olympic Games were held in 1896, only three have been abandoned. On each of those occasions it was due to war. Here’s a look back at the Olympic Games that never were....
comments powered by Disqus
- Studying History Should not be Only for the Elite, Say Academics
- How Malcolm X Inspired John Coltrane to Embrace Islamic Spirituality
- Connecticut Professor Sends Controversial Anti-1619 Project Email Blast to Public School Superintendents
- France Battles Over Whether to "Cancel" or Celebrate Napoleon
- West Virginia Univ. Researcher Wins Carnegie Award for Study of Appalachian Feminism