Dive Into John F. Kennedy’s Daily CIA UpdatesHistorians in the News
tags: Cold War, CIA, John F. Kennedy, primary sources, Central Intelligence Agency, Declassified documents
For decades the President’s Intelligence Checklist (PICL, like “pickle”) and Presidential Daily Briefings (PDB) were considered highly confidential — too sensitive, said the CIA, to ever release to the American public.
Five years ago today, however, then-CIA Director John Brennan appeared at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library to announce that the once extremely-classified updates to the Commander in Chief (beginning with President Kennedy in June 1961) would finally be made public.
“The release of these documents affirms that the world’s greatest democracy does not keep secrets merely for secrecy’s sake,” Brennan said at the time. “Whenever we can shed light on the work of our government without harming national security, we will do so.”
A collection of the records through the Ford Administration now live on a page on CIA’s website, and MuckRock is beginning to add text-searchable versions of the PICLs and PDBs to DocumentCloud.
We want your help to read through them and create a more accessible resource for everyone. Check out the Checklists from 1961, and help us to pull out a few key information points.
Once we’ve made our way through these, we’ll release the next batch for sorting. Anyone anywhere can help, so spread the word and share the work of examining our country’s history.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past