Historians' Petition: HNN's Coverage
- The Historians' Petition
- Breaking News Related to the Historians' Petition
- Signers of the Historians' Petition
- HNN Readers' Comments on the Petition
- Press Release Announcing Petition Presentation to Congress
- Joyce Appleby: Why We Began a Petition to Congress
- Joyce Appleby and Ellen Carol Dubois: War Issue Imperils Constitution (LA Times op ed)
- TomPaine.com advertisement on the op-ed page of the NYT 9-17-02
- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.: The Immorality of Preventive War
comments powered by Disqus
David McKinney - 9/19/2002
Professor Zinn cogently explains why war is a bad thing in this case.
But I think Republican Ron Paul makes an even better line item by line item case against.
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul read the following to the House of Representatives, September 10, 2002.
Soon we hope to have hearings on the pending war with Iraq. Here are some questions I would like answered by those who are urging us to start this war:
1. Is it not true that the reason we did not bomb the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War was because we knew they could retaliate?
2. Is it not also true that we are willing to bomb Iraq now because we know it cannot retaliate -- which just confirms that there is no real threat?
3. Is it not true that there are those who argue that even with inspections we cannot be sure that Hussein might be hiding weapons, and at the same time imply that we can be more sure that weapons exist in the absence of inspections?
4. Is it not true that the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency was able to complete its yearly verification mission to Iraq just this year with Iraqi cooperation?
Hari Lubin - 9/17/2002
War will not solve anything and in fact will add to the desperation and feelings of hostility to the USA encouraging more acts of terrorism.
- Warming is Clearly Visible in New US ‘Climate Normal’ Datasets
- Open Letter in Support of Free Inquiry and Discussion
- Melting Glaciers Have Exposed Frozen Relics of World War I
- The Stealth Sticker Campaign to Expose New York’s History of Slavery
- We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly Everything Makes Sense
- How the Modern NRA Was Born at the Border
- Event: A War on Global Poverty: The Lost Promise of Redistribution and the Rise of Microcredit with Joanne Meyerowitz (5/17)
- A Texas Bill Drew Ire for Saying it Would Preserve ‘Purity of the Ballot Box.’ Here’s the Phrase’s History
- How Trump Ignited the Fight over Critical Race Theory in Schools
- Hamilton, Hip-Hop, and the Law (Review)