The Casting Couch Perverts Who Peddled Fairy Tales
The Casting Couch is as old as Hollywood and as inescapable as bad reviews.
Journalists keep blaming many different initiators of this demeaning show business “audition.” Suspects include Mack Sennett of the Keystone Comedies; Samuel Goldwyn, the G in MGM; Louis B. Mayer, the second M in MGM; Howard Hughes the studio head, aviator and germaphobic billionaire;Jack Warner of Warner Brothers; and Benny Thau, the MGM casting whiz whose casting couch, some say, “was the busiest in Hollywood.” The talent agent, Henry Willson, may have invented the gay casting couch. If victory has a thousand fathers, power and perversion do too.
All these powerful men had many affairs with young ambitious hotties hoping to become movie stars. The most frequently mentioned of these pioneering phallocrats in the movie business, however, are Harry Cohn and Darryl Zanuck. Their stories are typical – and reveal the sick mix of sex and power obscured in a haze of all-American hypocrisy that explain the rise of the entertainment industry’s perverse, pervasive rite of passage...
comments powered by Disqus
- Demonizing Critical Race Theory
- Hideki Tojo's Ashes Scattered By US, Documents Reveal
- Plantation Planned Juneteenth Event that would Tell the Stories of Displaced ‘White Refugees’
- The Complicated History Behind BLM's Solidarity With The Pro-Palestinian Movement
- Rand Paul Offers an Accidentally Useful Jim Crow Analogy in Rationalizing His Party’s Illiberal Shift
- Is There an Uncontroversial Way to Teach America’s Racist History?
- White House Pushes To Jump-Start Civil Rights-Era Cold Cases Board
- Toll from Political Push at UNC Continues to Mount
- Legislating Against Critical Race Theory
- "Black Spartacus: The Epic Life of Toussaint Louverture" by Sudhir Hazareesingh wins Wolfson Prize