SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
by Jonathan Rose
Historian Jonathan Rose reviews a book by British firefighter and "left conservative" Paul Embery which identifies the collapse of both working class communities and open debate in Britain as factors in the demise of Labour as a political force.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
The Trump presidency has raised issues about the extent of racial resentment in White America, the significance of identity politics, and the place of intellectual discovery and academic research in American life that are a long way from resolution.
SOURCE: New York Review of Books
Hari Kunzru's review essay examines the current vogue for white antiracism (and antiracist training) through the history of whiteness as a political and academic concept, concluding that many of the most popular books and multicultural pieties strip the idea of its structural elements and reduce it to a question of personal purification.
SOURCE: Stanford Daily
The art history professor used the racial slur while writing the full name of the group N.W.A. and when discussing one of its albums.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Monica Duffy Toft
Internal strife, perhaps civil war or collapse often precedes a decisive demographic shift.
by Joshua Zeitz
Appealing to voters' tribal instincts is a time-honored American tradition. Because it works.
by Jim Sleeper
One line of attack: He’s playing into the hands of a well-funded conservative campaign to highlight examples of political correctness that distract us from real injustices.
SOURCE: The Way of Improvement Leads Home
by John Fea
Is Mark Lilla right that liberals need to get beyond identity politics? And just what do we mean by identity politics anyway?
Lilla, a historian at Columbia, argued that the Democratic Party has lost its way by focusing on identity politics.
- Oklahoma ACLU Files Suit Against State Ban on Critical Race Theory
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Leonard Moore: On Teaching Black History to White People
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time