Longtime watchers in government and law said the environment today echoes the most chaotic period in the modern history of the Justice Department. Watergate.
The Civil Rights Cold Case Records Review Board was established by Congress in January 2019. Now nominees for the board named by the American Historical Association, the Organization of American Historians, the Society of American Archivists, and the American Bar Association are being "vetted" by the White House, raising concerns about partisan interference.
SOURCE: Letters from an American
by Heather Cox Richardson
Recent stories suggest that those currently in power feel it is their right, and maybe their duty, to run the country in their own interest, ignoring-- or suppressing-- dissent.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The latest target was a 94-year-old man in Tennessee said to have been a guard at a concentration camp in Germany. “These people are old, and they’re dying,” a prosecutor said of the cases’ urgency.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Cornell W. Clayton
The U.S. attorney general’s office started in the judicial branch, not the executive — and has never been entirely under presidential control.
by Ronald L. Feinman
It isn't just William Barr.
by Jennifer Freilach
The surprisingly fascinating story behind the DOJ’s creation.
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past