SOURCE: Washington Post
Banning "Beloved" Won't Help Protect Kids, But it Will Help Sanitize Racism
by Farah Jasmine Griffin
It's worthwhile to consider Morrison's characterization of censoring Huck Finn as a “purist and yet elementary kind of censorship designed to appease adults rather than educate children.”
SOURCE: Boston Review
Toni Morrison's Vision of Justice Was an Ethos of Care
by Farah Jasmine Griffin
"What does justice look like for centuries of systemic abuse and violence enacted by a society built upon withholding justice from Black people? In all of her novels Toni Morrison contemplates the nature and practice of justice."
SOURCE: The Conversation
How a Mass Suicide by Slaves Caused the Legend of the Flying African to Take Off
by Thomas Hallock
A major trope of African American folklore converted an ill-fated effort at escape into a tale of freedom. Though the "flying Africans" story has been told and recorded throughout the African diaspora in the Americas, St. Simons Island, Georgia, is the home of the myth.
SOURCE: The Nation
Toni Morrison and the ‘Human Project’
by Robert Greene II
Through her novels and essays, Morrison helped inspire a generation of writers to reckon with American history.
SOURCE: New Republic
Toni Morrison’s Radical Vision of Otherness
by Nell Irvin Painter
The history of racism and exclusion in the United States is the history of whiteness.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of