SOURCE: Columbia Journalism Review
Security laws imposed by Beijing suggest that the Chinese government has lost patience for Hong Kong's traditionally active and frequently antagonistic press.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
New Yorker editor David Remnick writes that while Trump is not the first president to battle the media, his apparent belief that the press exists as his public relations agency--and anger that it doesn't work that way--are leading him to attack a fundamental institution of society with deadly consequences.
The Police Have Been Spying on Black Reporters and Activists for Years. I Know Because I’m One of Them.
by Wendi C. Thomas
Wendi C. Thomas is a black journalist who has covered police in Memphis. One officer admitted to spying on her. She’s on a long list of prominent black journalists and activists who have been subjected to police surveillance over decades.
SOURCE: Virginia Mercury
As Campaign 2020 Shifts into High Gear, Trump’s Defamation Suits Pose a Chilling Prospect for the Press
Although the 1964 Times v. Sullivan ruling makes it unlikely Trump would win a libel suit against a media outlet, the adminstration wants to break the historical relationship between the press and public figures.
SOURCE: Freedom Forum
“Be nice” — two words not found anywhere among the 45 words of the First Amendment.
by Adam Hochschild
Exactly 100 years ago, this country’s media was laboring under the kind of official censorship that would undoubtedly thrill both Donald Trump and Mike Pompeo.
by Ed Simon
Her great contribution is demonstrating how afraid of uncomfortable truths we’ve become.
- Oklahoma ACLU Files Suit Against State Ban on Critical Race Theory
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Leonard Moore: On Teaching Black History to White People
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time