Department of Education
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
The Commonality between Biden’s Education Secretary and Betsy Devos is a Warning
by Adam Laats
Public education has long been envisioned as a black box that can fix the social problems created by inequality in the United States. When it has failed to perform this miracle, the education system has been subjected to successive waves of wrenching reform. It's time to fix the society outside the school walls.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
3 Universities Face U.S. Inquiries Into Free-Speech Controversies
Critics of the Department of Education contend that its investigations into alleged free speech violations by university administrations are part of a conservative politics of grievance aimed at higher education institutions. The DOE says conservative groups are being singled out.
SOURCE: Daily Iowan
University of Iowa Will Halt Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Training After White House Executive Order
The university's statement claimed in essence that the threat of losing federal grants and contracts could not be ignored.
SOURCE: Washington Examiner
Education Department Opens Investigation into Princeton University after President Deems Racism 'Embedded' in the School
The Department of Education's justification appears to boil down to the idea that acknowledging institutional racial inequality embedded over centuries is the functional equivalent of discrimination.
SOURCE: The Chronicle of Higher Education
A Brief History of GOP Attempts to Kill the Education Dept.
From the moment the Department of Education was born, critics — Republicans, almost exclusively — have sought to dismantle it.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of