SOURCE: New Criterion
Cheers... to Drinking Songs
by R. Eric Tippin
Drinking songs have been pervasive in human history, but profoundly divided between those framing drink as a divine gift ordered by ritual and those concerned with a party.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
The Hard Seltzer Trend Echoes the 19th Century Craze for Lager
"Lagers were introduced by a wave of German immigrants pouring in from Europe. To uninitiated Americans, lager was simply weird. But for Germans-turned-German-Americans, the beer was inseparable from the culture of its consumption."
SOURCE: The Atlantic
America Has a Drinking Problem
The shifting social setting of American alcohol consumption, as much as its volume, is cause for concern.
Prohibition began 100 years ago, and its legacy remains
Featuring Harvard history professor Lisa McGirr, whose 2015 book “The War on Alcohol” examines Prohibition’s political and social repercussions.
A Bloody Mary Bar and a Barroom Full of Fun
by Bruce Chadwick
The story includes the history of the Bloody Mary, Irish Coffee. Champagne and the Bellini, brunch drinks, told in spirited, light hearted songs presented by a seasoned and a deliciously giddy cast.
How To Drink Like A President
The drinking habits of presidents past and present.
SOURCE: The Conversation
The Prohibition-era origins of the modern craft cocktail movement
by Jeffrey Miller
For better or worse, Prohibition changed the way Americans drank, and its cultural impact has never really gone away.
- A Secret Joke Clouds Harvard's Affirmative Action Case
- An Amateur Historian Helped Find Richard III's Remains Under a Parking Garage. Her Story Hits the Screen
- Why LAUSD Teachers Walked Out
- The Role of US Evangelicals in Radicalizing Ugandans Against LGBTQ Rights
- Culture Warrior Chris Rufo is DeSantis's Most Important Ally
- The PR War for Cancer Awareness has Reduced the Stigma, but not the Cost, of Illness
- The Jim Crow Reign of Terror
- Francesca Morgan Dissects the American Obsession with Genealogy
- Florida Legislation Recalls the Tragic History behind Fights for Sex Education
- Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas