SOURCE: National Education Association
The Racist Beginnings of Standardized Testing
Standardized testing originated when public schooling was expanding and eugenicists were arguing that many immigrant and nonwhite groups were not capable of educational achievement. Tests were developed to sustain this viewpoint.
SOURCE: New York Times
James Jackson, Who Changed the Study of Black America, Dies at 76
James S. Jackson pioneered survey methods that allowed African Americans to be studied as a group rather than in comparison to a baseline defined by whites.
Let's Return Historical Attention to the Crowd
by Peter N. Stearns
Historians have much to add to the social science theory on crowds and can help advance understanding past simplistic and mechanistic understandings of today's public unrest.
SOURCE: New York Times
How Racism Is Destroying America (Book Review)
by Michael Ignatieff
A white liberal progressive confronts the issue of race in America with beliefs that make it difficult to face a reality that their fellow citizens of black or Hispanic origin take for granted.
SOURCE: Harvard Gazette
Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
University of Amsterdam Professor of Social Science Emeritus Abram de Swaan takes a hard look at the subject in his new book, “The Killing Compartments: The Mentality of Mass Murder.”
Science Relevant to History
This page is designed to help historians keep up with the sciences.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of