SOURCE: Washington Post
by Michele Norris
"We do our children no favors if we only feed them a steady diet of fairy tales that sidestep life’s complexities.... What’s really at work is adults trying to outrun a sense of shame."
Ruby Bridges, whose integration of New Orleans Schools in 1960 was captured by Norman Rockwell, has written a children's history book about her experiences.
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel