SOURCE: New York Post
by Josh Hawley
Senator Josh Hawley argues that public schools are obligated to teach "the truth about our history and our purpose that unites us as a nation."
SOURCE: The New Republic
by Alex Pareene
The Senate's ethics processes reflect an instution that has historically policed itself. They are completely useless when Senators ignore see political advantage in ignoring institutional norms.
Writer Gilad Edelman says that Josh Hawley's book twists the history of antitrust policy to fit the needs of today's Republican culture war against the social media giants.
SOURCE: Tropics of Meta
by Steven Lubet
Senator Josh Hawley arguably helped incite a mob to invade the Capitol to thwart the certification of Biden's victory. Missouri's antebellum senator David Rice Atchison helped incite a civil war in Kansas in 1854.
SOURCE: Claire Potter
by Claire Potter
The author has broadly defended free speech as a value. Josh Hawley's complaints about his cancelled book contract don't fit the bill.
by David Goldfischer
Josh Hawley wrote a 2008 biography of Theodore Roosevelt balancing praise of the former president's vision of democracy with condemnation of his grasping for power. One wonders how the author of this book could have acted as the Senator did on January 6.
SOURCE: The Guardian
Senator Josh Hawley's demands that Congress intervene in the electoral vote certification depends on ignoring that A: Congress formed such a commission in 1877 after three states failed to certify their vote and B: the resulting compromise forfeited the politial and civil rights of Black Americans.
"I've been using that word for months now," historian and author Timothy Snyder told Stelter on "Reliable Sources" Sunday.
SOURCE: Boston Herald
Conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg suggests that Republican protests over the Electoral College vote certification are ridiculous and will be remembered as desperate and un-American.
- Oklahoma ACLU Files Suit Against State Ban on Critical Race Theory
- St. Malo, Louisiana, Site of Earliest Filipino-American Settlement, Threatened by Climate Change
- Executive Privilege was out of Control Before Steve Bannon Claimed It
- Can Skeletons Have Racial Identity?
- Diver Discovers 900-Year-Old Sword Dating to the Crusades
- Leonard Moore: On Teaching Black History to White People
- How Cigarettes Became a Civil Rights Issue
- David Graeber and David Wengrow Have Given Human History a Rewrite
- Dems Worry Not Passing Biden Agenda Will Kill Them in the Midterms. Does Legislation Actually Matter?
- #HATM: "Historians at the Movies" Builds Community One Screening at a Time