SOURCE: The Guardian
The pressure to depict the heroic exploits of Australian forces in service of the Crown has chilled discussion of the nation's internal military history and how it should be publicly acknowledged. Changing leadership of the body responsible for commemoration is an opportunity to take a new course.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Taylor Dysart
Today's Canadian protesters include many of the contemporary far right, but they all draw on a concept of freedom as individual entitlement to rule that has roots in the displacement of the nation's indigenous people.
by Kyle T. Mays
"We have forgotten a similar time in history when African American and Native American activists battled against colonialism and white supremacy, respecting the uniqueness of both groups’ history, but understanding that an end to US empire would require solidarity."
The Settler Colonialist Frame Helps Clarify What's at Stake in the Middle East for Israelis, Palestinians, and Peace
by Jeff Kolnick
Looking at the recent resurgence of armed conflict between Israel and Hamas as part of a project of settler colonialism clarifies the nature of the conflict, and suggests that the immediate cessation of eviction of Palestinians is essential for peace.
by Joshua Ward Jeffery
"Original Sin" is a fit metaphor for longstanding inequities in American society, but it's important to understand that the original sin is settler colonialism and the seizure of indigenous land, which American civic religion has been all too willing to accommodate.
- TikTok Spurs Frenzy over Fake Photos of Nanjing Atrocities
- Justice Jackson's Questioning in Voting Rights Case Shows History Won't be Left to Court's Right Wing
- The "Stolen Babies" of Fascist Spain Seek the Truth
- What Lizzo Can Teach the Right about History
- Law Professor Unearths Murder Cases from Jim Crow Era
- Pekka Hamalainen's Ambitious Book Reinforces Some Old Myths (Review)
- Patty Limerick Speaks on Her Dismissal from CU's Center of the American West
- New Archaeology of Lost Crops Shows the Reign of Corn Wasn't Inevitable
- Shortlist for Cundill History Prize Released
- Mireya Loza's History of Farm Work Will Shape Equity in Agriculture Industry