University of Austin
SOURCE: Washington Post
The Not-So-Hidden Purpose of the University of Austin
by Daniel Drezner
Anyone attracted to the promises of academic freedom and untrammeled inquiry at the University of Austin should be scared of the power it proposes to concentrate in its corporate governing board.
SOURCE: The New Republic
Have the University of Austin Founders Been in a Classroom Lately?
by Aaron R. Hanlon
Proposing a new college to fight campus illiberalism is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Really.
Claiming Academe is Restrictive, Group of Scholars, Pundits and Tech Investors Announce University of Austin
Is this venture an antidote to academic conformity, or a platform for a circle of like-minded thinkers? Historians weigh in on the University of Austin announcement.
I'm Helping to Start a New College Because Higher Ed Is Broken
by Niall Ferguson
The Hoover Institution fellow explains the impetus for the launch of the propsed University of Austin, of which he is a board member.
SOURCE: New York Magazine
Who's Afraid of Higher Education?
The splashy launch of the University of Austin concept echoes the establishment a half-century ago of evangelical conservative colleges; despite the claim to value free speech, the institutions seek to avoid intellectual turbulence and conflict.
SOURCE: New York Times
Claiming Colleges are Too Censorious, They Claim to Be Starting One Dedicated to Free Inquiry
A group of scholars and activists are planning to establish a new university dedicated to free speech, alarmed, they said, “by the illiberalism and censoriousness prevalent in America’s most prestigious universities.”
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute