SOURCE: The Baffler
Did Cartoonist Billy Ireland Really Push the KKK out of Columbus, Ohio?
by Eliya Smith
Local lore held that Columbus Dispatch cartoonist Billy Ireland's merciless taunting of the KKK forced it to leave town in the 1920s. Could newspaper cartoons really do that?
- O'Mara: Politics and Commercial Pressure, not ChatGPT, are the Threats
- Why are the Dems Denying DC Self-Government?
- Anastasia Curwood on Shirley Chisholm's Childhood Heroes
- After Studying Housing Discrimination, This Historian is Fighting it in Court
- How Textbook Publishers are Censoring the Story of Rosa Parks to Sell Books in Florida