SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Ashley Steenson
Joe Manchin's torpedoing of the Build Back Better legislation reflects a historically prominent principle, though maybe not one the Senator would like to acknowledge: contempt for most of his constituents.
SOURCE: Chronicle of Higher Education
by Ronald J. Daniels
"Legacy preference is immobility written as policy, preserving for children the same advantages enjoyed by their parents. It embodies in stark and indefensible terms inherited privilege in higher education."
SOURCE: BIG by Matt Stoller
by Sam Haselby
The incredible wealth of Ivy League and other elite universities, combined with their ever-dwindling acceptance rates, suggests that contemporary meritocracy is working to reproduce a tiny economic and political elite at the expense of democracy.
by Daniel K. Williams
Every Democratic presidential nominee for the past thirty years has had a degree from either Harvard or Yale.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Clint Smith
Unwritten rules underlie all of elite-university life—and students who don’t come from a wealthy background have a hard time navigating them.
They appeared on a panel convened to discuss Moshik Temkin's controversial NYT op ed, "Historians Shouldn’t Be Pundits."
SOURCE: Telegraph (UK)
The Good Friday Agreement is "flawed and elitist" but will not be derailed by the forthcoming 1916 commemorations or the threat from dissidents, according to historian Professor Paul Bew.The Queen's University academic told the 20th annual Burren Law School in Co Clare that the Agreement "ended the Cold War" within the Island of Ireland."The Good Friday Agreement was an elitist, top down process which explains its inadequacies but also explains why it continues to work," said Prof Bew. "This (the Agreement) is a stable process... it is perfectly clear what the rules of the game are."...
- Where Americans Agree and Disagree on Teaching Race in School
- Is Alito's Plan to Repeal the 20th Century?
- Why the End of Roe Isn't Likely to Energize the Democrats
- Smithsonian Announces Plans to Return Looted, Unethically Sourced Artifacts
- Traveling Smithsonian Exhibition to Highlight 1968 Poor People's Campaign
- The Rent is Too Damn High(ly Central to Modern Economies)
- The Anti-Abortion Movement's Pre-Roe Roots
- Virtual Event: Scholars Discuss Free Speech at American Writers Museum May 18
- Abortion Historian Gillian Frank on Religious Leaders who Once Helped Women End Pregnancies
- Tim Snyder Discusses Putin's "Big Lie" about Ukraine on Maddow