Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
The new authoritarians
by Holly Case
Last century’s dictators wanted to reinvent their subjects as "new men." This century’s strongmen just don’t care. Why?
SOURCE: Hürriyet Daily News
Turkey’s president is attracting ridicule for his latest use of history to promote Turkish nationalism
Social media reacts to President Erdoğan’s 16 warriors during meeting with Abbas
SOURCE: Foreign Affairs
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wants students to learn the Ottoman language
by Nick Danforth
Erdogan’s critics condemned his decision as yet another heavy-handed attempt to promote a conservative version of Ottoman nostalgia.
What Happened to Recep Tayyip Erdoğan?
by Dr. Alon Ben-Meir
His follies have upended his Ottoman Empire dreams.
SOURCE: New York Times
Erdogan Stokes the Sectarian Fires
by Halil M. Karaveli
Turkey was supposed to be the stable Middle East partner of the West. No more.
What Turkey's Riots Mean
by Daniel Pipes
To assess the future of Islamism in Turkey, watch the economic indicators.
Edhem Eldem: Turkey’s False Nostalgia
Edhem Eldem is a professor of history at Bogazici University.ISTANBUL — THE demonstrators who have filled the streets of Istanbul and other Turkish cities for nearly three weeks complain that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party, known as the A.K.P., has adopted an increasingly authoritarian attitude that threatens basic freedoms. They also resent his tendency to meddle in the personal lives of citizens — by condemning abortion or trying to control the sale and consumption of alcohol.But Mr. Erdogan isn’t the first Turkish leader to have flirted with authoritarianism and social engineering. This is important to remember, since many of his opponents tend to hark back to a nostalgic past, best illustrated by the profusion of Turkish flags and images of the republic’s founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"