SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
Historian Henry Reichman, one of the preliminary report's authors, said the committee studying Florida's higher ed system under Ron DeSantis found abuses of academic freedom and institutional regulations to be more widespread than they expected, and warned more political interference is coming.
SOURCE: American Federation of Teachers
AAUP and American Fed. of Teachers: Florida Bill "Would Destroy Higher Education as We Know It"
"Simply put, it would make Florida’s colleges and universities into an arm of the DeSantis political operation."
SOURCE: American Association of University Professors
AAUP: Florida's Censorship Cannot Stand
"That the only ideas the presidents wish to suppress relate to race is revealing."
SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times
National AAUP Condemns Florida University Presidents' Pledge to Root out Critical Race Theory
"The national organization, founded in 1915, stated it was 'appalled at the blatant violation of academic freedom' and said it was exploring options, including an investigation and possible censure."
SOURCE: The New Republic
Does Academic Freedom Really Require Tolerance for Prejudice or Falsehood by Faculty?
by Michael Bérubé and Jennifer Ruth
Academic freedom and free speech aren't the same thing, and it's time for professional standards in academia to recognize the necessity of drawing boundaries around bigotry and falsehood as potentially disqualifying for faculty members.
SOURCE: Sharon Herald
Grove City College's AAUP censure lifted after 53 years after school apologizes for firing Larry Gara
Gara, a pacifist, was fired in 1962 at the height of the Cold War. The apology came after the AP highlighted his case last year. He’s now 94 years old.
"Being a Professor Will No Longer Be a Viable Career."
by David Austin Walsh
With MOOCs the academic freedom of professors is under siege because professors are losing control of their intellectual property, says Cary Nelson, former president of the American Association of University Professors.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of