by Betsy Gaines Quammen
Ammon Bundy has been looking for another battle since the takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. With a new administration promising increased regulation of public lands use, he may choose one soon.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Rebecca Janzen
Along with the Romneys – relatives of Sen. Mitt Romney, whose father was born in Mexico – the LeBarons are among the most storied families in Mormon history.
SOURCE: Salt Lake Tribune
It's the “taking of my unseen and unrecognized expertise that hurts more than the taking of my words,” Parshall said.
SOURCE: New York Times
Kathleen Flake is part of a new generation of non-Mormon Mormon scholars.
In the small but cohesive Mormon community where he grew up, Hans Mattsson was a solid believer and a pillar of the church. He followed his father and grandfather into church leadership and finally became an “area authority” overseeing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout Europe.When fellow believers in Sweden first began coming to him with information from the Internet that contradicted the church’s history and teachings, he dismissed it as “anti-Mormon propaganda,” the whisperings of Lucifer. He asked his superiors for help in responding to the members’ doubts, and when they seemed to only sidestep the questions, Mr. Mattsson began his own investigation.But when he discovered credible evidence that the church’s founder, Joseph Smith, was a polygamist and that the Book of Mormon and other scriptures were rife with historical anomalies, Mr. Mattsson said he felt that the foundation on which he had built his life began to crumble....
- Tulsa Race Massacre Commission Ousts Oklahoma Governor
- Narrative Napalm: Malcolm Gladwell's Apologia for American Butchery
- Rijksmuseum Slavery Exhibition Confronts Cruelty of Dutch Trade
- Human Tissue Preserved since World War I Yields New Clues about 1918 Pandemic
- Joe Biden Wants to Be Like Roosevelt. But Can He Get the Votes?
- How the Shocking Use of Gas in World War I Led Nations to Ban It
- Nicole Hemmer on the GOP's Shrinking Tent
- Recasting the ‘Riots’ of the 1960s as Rebellions by Blacks Under Siege
- Before the Civil War, America Was a ‘House Divided’ in More Ways Than One
- Junk: Mark Bittman’s History of Why We Eat Bad Food