SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
The Right Celebrated Bernhard Goetz as the Kyle Rittenhouse of the 80s
by Pia Beumer
In the context of economic turmoil, urban crisis, and racial division, a broad swath of the American public made Goetz a heroic symbol of restored white masculinity after he shot four Black teens who asked him for money on the New York subway.
How Disinformation Powers Vigilantism
Right wing misinformation has linked the nation's borders with race war discourse that encourages vigilantism, according to historian Carly Goodman.
SOURCE: Boston Review
America as a Tactical Gun Culture
by Chad Kautzer
"Vigilantism is fueled by an individualist notion of sovereignty more dangerous than any military-grade weaponry. It rejects the freedom of others as equal to one’s own and views any attempt to support such equality as tyranny."
by Joe Lowndes
Kyle Rittenhouse's demeanor at trial shows the difficulty of his case; he presents a figure that normalizes and sanitizes the violent core of the vigilante movement he represents.
Kyle Rittenhouse is an American
by Patrick Blanchfield
"The impulse to reconstruct that night’s chaos as though watching a 21st century Rashomon, is a trap."
SOURCE: New York Times
We are Becoming a Nation of Vigilantes
by Jon Michaels and David Noll
The Texas abortion ban, which outsources enforcement to private citizens suing in civil courts, is the logical extension of the politics of right-populist outrage and harkens back to extraconstitutional traditins of vigilante justice.
What Kyle Rittenhouse's Fate Reveals about Law and Order
by Nicole Hemmer
Historically, white vigilantism, especially against the demands of minorities for civil and economic equality, has been a key component of the politics of "law and order."
FBI Arrests Plotters to Kidnap Michigan Governor, Highlighting Trump's "Liberate Michigan" Rhetoric
On October 8, the FBI announced multiple arrests in a plot to kidnap Michigan's Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer, whose support for lockdown measures to fight COVID-19 moved Trump to call on right-wing mobs to "Liberate Michigan."
SOURCE: The Atlantic
Our Summer of White Male Supremacy
by Ibram X. Kendi
"Adherents of Trumpism think they are facing a choice between white male supremacy and 'anarchy'."
SOURCE: Huffington Post
White Vigilantes Have Always Had A Friend In Police
American Studies scholar Nick Estes argues that the acceptance of vigilante groups by the police reflects a long history of cooperation between official law enforcement and informal groups to defend white supremacy.
Trayvon Martin and Edward Snowden
by Vicente L. Rafael
Could we say that within the particular imperial and racial nexus we find ourselves in, that Snowden, despite his obvious differences from Trayvon, might also share his fate?
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"