SOURCE: New Statesman
by Nicholas Mulder
The Biden approach shows a reframing of economic sanctions from being a deterrent to being a non-military weapon of war. This has happened before, and history shows that sanctions against an aggressor nation can be expected to fail unless they are paired with aid to Ukraine.
by David Perry and Matthew Gabriele
Verena Krebs's new book on medieval Ethiopian contact with Europeans reverses the lens to argue that the African kingdom engaged with Europeans from a position of strength.
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
by Ruth Ben-Ghiat
The Italo-Ethiopian War may remain an obscure historical event to many Americans. Yet it shocked millions into action and fueled a reckoning with institutionalized racism and fascism.
SOURCE: CBC News
The oldest fossil of the human genus Homo has been unearthed in Ethiopia, a groundbreaking discovery that pushes the history of human evolution 400,000 years further into the past.
SOURCE: BBC News
Ethiopian colonel Fekadu Wakene taught South African political activist Nelson Mandela the tricks of guerrilla warfare.
- The Latest SCOTUS Case to Privilege Religion Over Civil Society
- A Look Back at the 747 as Boeing Delivers Last Jumbo Jet
- The Tradition of Overambitious Public Works in Mexico
- Dutch Villagers Find Hunt for Nazi Treasure Less and Less Charming With Passage of Time
- Review: New Book Worships the False Idol of the Responsible Corporation
- Zachary Shore: the Struggle Between Vengeance and Virtue in WWII
- Julia Schleck on The Function of the University Today
- The Bitter, Contested History of Globalization
- Prof. Hasan Kwame Jeffries on Consulting for Hip Hop at 50 Documentary
- Glenda Gilmore's Bio Shows Artist Romare Bearden Reckoning with the South