SOURCE: New York Times
Buffalo Soldiers Statue Unveiled at West Point
The Buffalo Soldiers held a confounding position in the military, teaching cavalry skills to white cadets at West Point while housed in segregated barracks, and fighting white supremacy within the army while also taking part in the military campaign of conquest against Native Americans.
SOURCE: Academe Blog
Overcoming Setbacks in Academic Freedom at West Point
by Chris Arney
"The West Point faculty model and its policies have been evolving since Congress mandated the inclusion of more civilian faculty members in the 1990s. However, the clash of ideals and teaching methods between the academic and military cultures still exists, sometimes resulting in civilian-military discord and disagreement over values and process."
Gillibrand Urges Removal Of Confederate Symbols At West Point
The symbols include a portrait of Robert E. Lee, several locations named after Lee and a road named after Sontewall Jackson.
The Cost of Loyalty: A Crisis of Ethics in the Military
by Timothy Bakken
Military leadership has inculcated a self-serving culture of loyalty that prevents a long-overdue reckoning with its failures.
SOURCE: The Chronicle of Higher Education
Sexism in the history department at West Point alleged
by Peggy O’Donnell
Peggy O’Donnell taught history at West Point for a year. She says the sexism was “glaring."
Seventy Years of Military Mediocrity
by William J. Astore
The Shared Failings of America’s Military Academies and Senior Officers
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- US House "Parental Rights" Bill Threatens to Take Book Banning Nationwide
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History