When World War II Pacifists "Conquered the Future"
by Eric Laursen
Daniel Akst profiles the pacifists who opposed American involvement in the Second World War and their influence on the civil rights and peace movements that followed.
SOURCE: Boston Review
Will Ukraine Be the Death of German Pacifism?
by Stephen Milder
The real transformation wrought in Europe by the Russian invasion isn't the return of war (which was certainly present in the 1990s) but the turn of Germany away from a post-fascist pacifist posture to a potential remilitarization.
Who Speaks for the World when Great Powers Flex Their Muscle?
by Lawrence Wittner
"Are the people of the world condemned to live forever under the heels of the great powers? Or is it still possible to take another step along the road to a peaceful, humane planet?"
Ukraine Shows We Need to Learn the History of Peace Movements to Break The Habit of War
by Charles F. Howlett
The history of peace movements, as opposed to fleeting opposition to particular wars, is needed today as never before.
SOURCE: JStor Daily
Masculinity, Pacifism and Politics: Abolitionist Parker Pillsbury
"Pillsbury and other Garrisonians despised the romanticization of male violence, perhaps partly because they were on the receiving end of so much of it. They derided white southern men as drunkards with a tendency to use harsh violence against both enslaved people and white women."
SOURCE: Made By History at The Washington Post
Trump’s Doubts about the Military have Deep Roots in Both Parties
by Michael Kazin
Recent media discussions of Trump's remarks about war veterans and indifference to visiting a World War I memorial should prompt deeper thought about the antiwar movements of the right and left that the Great War created. Opposition to war can be rooted in very different values and advance different ends.
Review of “Antiwar Dissent and Peace Action in World War I America,” Edited by Scott H. Bennett and Charles F. Howlett
by Murray Polner
Every generation needs to be reminded of and taught the heavy price exacted by war.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History