SOURCE: Los Angeles Review of Books
American Studies scholar Elizabeth Anker's work examines "ugly freedom," in which the capacity of one group to dominate another is constructed as the positive social value of liberty. She discusses it with philosopher Brad Evans.
by Alan J. Singer
Tyler Stovall's book is a searching examination of the historical connections between a developing white identity, the Enlightenment concepts of liberty, and the political practice of racial hierarchy.
SOURCE: The Nation
Annelien de Dijn's book examines the tensions and contradictions inherent in the idea of freedom, arguing that the individualistic, liberty-focused ideal is a recent phenomenon and has obscured ideas of freedom rooted in democracy and collective security.
SOURCE: New York Times
by Michael Tomasky
"Say this: Freedom means the freedom not to get infected by the idiot who refuses to mask up. Even John Stuart Mill would have agreed."
SOURCE: Boston Review
by Jefferson Cowie
In American mythology, there exists a gauzy past when white citizens were left alone to do as they pleased with their land and their labor (even if it was land stolen and labor enslaved). In the legend, those days of freedom and equality were, and still are, perpetually under assault.
SOURCE: Washington Post
James Baldwin reflects on the complexity of "liberty" in the context of anti-black racism.
by M. Andrew Holowchak
They have, but Jefferson was never committed to liberty per se, but always committed to liberty in the service of intellectual and moral advance.
by Christopher L. Webber
What if the experiment in liberty should perish from the earth or be limited to America and other western democracies?
- Law Prof: If Recent SCOTUS Decisions Relied on Bad History, Opponents Need to Come Up with a Better Version
- How Hitler's Favorite Passion Play Lost its Anti-Semitism
- Fighting Back Against Book Banners
- At CPAC, Trump Presents a Violent Blueprint for Taking Power
- Mario Fiorentini (1918-2022): The Last Surviving Italian Partisan
- Revisiting Lady Rochford and Her Alleged Betrayal of Anne Boleyn
- Walter Russell Mead: Non-Jewish Interest Groups, not "Israel Lobby" Drive Hawkish US Mideast Policy
- The Architecture of the Shopping Mall Shaped by Racism, Surveillance
- The Misuse of History in 2021 Documentary "The Business of Birth Control"
- It's Hard to Be God