Economics is Power, not Math: Why the Dems Should Attack Monopoly
by Barry C. Lynn
Until the Reagan Revolution, American politics reflected the understanding that concentrated economic power was corrosive to democracy. Today, the Democrats need to revive that story as a political argument.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
The Prices on Your Monopoly Board Hold a Dark Secret
The value hierarchy of properties on the Monopoly game board reflect the history of Atlantic City; the game was created as the Great Migration brought African Americans north to New Jersey and spurred northern cities and their white residents to create and defend residential segregation.
Monopoly in the 20th Century: Roosevelt Warns of Concentrated Wealth and Fascism (Excerpt)
by Thom Hartmann
Franklin Roosevelt recognized that the concentrated economic power of big businesses was a threat to democratic society and a step on the road to fascism, and wasn't afraid to say it.
Internet Access Proves Necessary to ‘Participate in Life’ During Pandemic
Harvard Law Professor Susan Crawford argues that the regulatory system for electric utilities established by Franklin Roosevelt in the 1930s is a model for necessary reforms to the telecommunicatins industry to ensure all Americans can access the internet.
SOURCE: LA Times
Ms. Monopoly is here. Psst: A woman invented the game in the first place
The Monopoly game was the brainchild of a woman named Lizzie Magie at the turn of the 20th century.
SOURCE: The New Republic
An Anti-Capitalist Woman Invented Monopoly and a Man Got All the Credit
by Jen Doll
The surprising origins of a beloved board game
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"