West Side Story
SOURCE: Boston Review
West Side Story and the Tragedy of Progressive Hollywood
by Éric Morales-Franceschini
Critical debates about the "West Side Story" remake focus on representation, but ignore the politics of Puerto Rico.
SOURCE: Public Seminar
Puerto Rican History Deserves More than a Mural
by Jacqueline Lazú
Instead of rehashing "West Side Story," Hollywood should tell the story of Chicago's Young Lords Organization.
New, Experimental West Side Story Is an Experiment that Goes Awry
by Bruce Chadwick
The play has lost its focus and sense of history.
Jets and Sharks Rumble Again in West Side Story of the ‘50s
by Bruce Chadwick
What is it about the 1957 play "West Side Story" that has made it one of the most powerful musicals of all time?
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of