HMS Conway 150th anniversary service in Liverpool





The Merchant Navy training ship HMS Conway opened in August 1859 and was moored on the River Mersey until after the Blitz in May 1941.

Much like the service 25 years ago when the school closed, Liverpool Cathedral was full of Old Conways and shipping representatives. The ceremony remembered the foundation of Conway, gave thanks for the spirit of loyalty and adventure shown by former cadets on the high seas, under the sea, on land and in the air, in peace and war.

The value of training lay in the producing of young men who would become the backbone of Britain’s maritime industry. Today, the Conway Merchant Navy Trust is the direct successor committed to perpetuating Conway’s ideals and standards.

comments powered by Disqus
History News Network