Lockerbie Bomber Hopes Released Documents Will Clear His Name





The only man convicted in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing posted his legal defense to the Web on Friday, saying he hopes it will help convince people he had nothing to do with the terrorist attack that killed 270 people.

Abdel Baset al-Megrahi said the 353 pages of legal arguments are part of an appeal of his conviction that was dropped shortly before he was released from a Scottish jail last month. The documents are particularly aimed at Scots and the families of the bombing's victims, he said.

Tony Gauci, a Maltese store owner, claimed that a man resembling al-Megrahi entered his shop on Dec. 7, 1988 and bought the clothing in question. But the argument said Gauci's testimony was of "poor quality — confused, contradictory and factually incorrect."


comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe to our mailing list