CNSNews Questions White House Official's Praise for Mao
When questioned last week after a video of her speech surfaced, however, Dunn said she was using “irony” in reference to Mao. A leading expert on China told CNSNews.com that Dunn’s remarks were “pathetic,” given the human rights atrocities committed under Mao’s reign.
As first shown on Fox News Channel’s “Glenn Beck” show on Thursday, Oct. 15, in the video Dunn told graduating high school students that Mao and Mother Teresa, the Catholic nun known for aiding the poor, were examples of people who did not give up, and did their own thing to make a difference in the world.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Alan Perron - 11/10/2009
Sorry, but what was the joke exactly? I read that the White House stated that the context was off but did not say what the context was.
Jonathan Dresner - 11/9/2009
She was kidding, you humorless drone.
Jeremy Alan Perron - 11/9/2009
Maybe but White House officals should not be giving praise to Mao.
Jonathan Dresner - 10/21/2009
The "leading expert" they cite is someone whose anti-communist perspective constitutes a pathological bias, and the article then cites his Black Book of Communism -- which uses absurd mathematical and ahistorical tricks to inflate the death tolls of Soviet and Chinese society, downplay Nazi atrocities and implicitly ignores non-Communist political violence -- as if it were a separate source, rather than essentially the same thing.
It would be interesting to get some actual Chinese scholars to comment, but that wouldn't have fit the bias of the article.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”