Adolf Hitler's war record among hundreds of thousands published online
Ancestry.co.uk said the records detail the full military careers of 1.5 million Bavarian soldiers and were originally held by the Bavarian State Archives.
Individual records detail the name, rank, date and place of birth, service record, religion, occupation and other information.
Among the soldiers named are 25-year-old Lance Corporal Adolf Hitler, described as an artist, of Catholic religion.
Ancestry.co.uk international content director Dan Jones said: ''As Germany becomes more comfortable with the idea of exploring its own military past - and in particular the First World War - it is important that no matter which side of the war our ancestors fought on, we all have the opportunity to remember them.
''Over the past century Germans have migrated around the world and so we expect these records to be of interest to many people and in many countries.''
comments powered by Disqus
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals