We can be proud of our role in Iraq, defiant Campbell tells inquiry
Alastair Campbell demonstrated yesterday that he had lost none of the confrontational style and robust confidence that had made him such a crucial aide to Tony Blair.
He did, however, acknowledge that more could have been done to instil public trust in the process that led to the invasion of Iraq in March 2003.
As the first political witness before Sir John Chilcot’s inquiry into the Iraq war, Mr Blair’s former communications and strategy director was questioned on his role in preparing the government dossier of intelligence on Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction in September 2002.
Mr Campbell said that he had provided only “presentational advice” at the request of Sir John Scarlett, the chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee. “At no time did I ask him to beef up, to override, any of the judgments that he had,” Mr Campbell said. “The whole way through it could not have been made clearer to everybody that nothing would override the intelligence judgments and that John Scarlett was the person who, if you like, had the single pen.”
comments powered by Disqus
nerriwy wang - 1/14/2010
Bridal retailer, Wedding dresses,Bridal dresses,Cheap wedding dresses,Inexpensive wedding dresses,
Cheap wedding gowns,Bridal wedding dress,Wedding website
Flower Girl Dresses
Party, Evening and Celebrity dresses – endless selection of styles, colours and the latest celebrity trends in the Goddiva boutique at fantastic prices
Mother Of The Bride Dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from eDressMe. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
john richard barker - 1/14/2010
the rats do not get off the sinking ship.
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- 150 years of medical journals to go online
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims