Texas wants to rename slave trade as "Atlantic triangular trade"
The changes are ideological and distort history, but conservative Board of Education argue they are correcting a long-standing liberal bias in education. Read the running history of this very interesting "culture war" here and if you want details, read the exact changes here.
One of the most controversial changes is to deny the slave trade. The Texas Board of Education wants to refer to the slave trade as the "Atlantic triangular trade". What the he** is the "Atlantic triangular trade"? What do you call the millions of African-Americans whose ancestors came here as slaves? Descendants of triangulates?
comments powered by Disqus
Michael Schack - 6/17/2010
I have a feeling they did not read this bookThe Slave Ship" by Marcus Rediker,
Arnold Shcherban - 5/20/2010
Of course, it was "about more" than just slavery (such a mean and incomplete term...), it was also about super-greed and perceived racial superiority of Anglo-Saxon race.
What a whitewash! (pun on words is intended.)
Same (insane) good, ol' story...
It looks like nothing changed under the puritan racist sun in the course of the last two centuries.
S. K. - 5/20/2010
The "Triangular Trade" is exactly what it's been called for years and years and accurately represents the pattern of trade in Colonial America. That's how I learned about it 30 years ago and quite frankly I'm surprised to learn that they now teach it as "slave trade." For students to understand the economics and dynamics that created and sustained the trade, they must understand the big picture - all parts. Now, if Texas wanted to rename it the "Rum" trade or the "tobacco" trade and exclude the role of slavery in the trading economics, then you might have valid disagreement. But let's not go overboard because Texas desires to return to the original name of the practice and make sure all students at every level understand the complexity of the times. We don't want to dumb down our students. We want them to understand that it was all about more than "just" slaves.
You'll have to find something else to pick on.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”