Ulysses S. Grant in Galena
'Images of U.S. Grant" has arrived at the Galena-Jo Daviess County Historical Society & Museum in time to mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War (and Grant's birthday on Wednesday). But this exhibition, in the picturesque historic village that the Union general and American president briefly called home, is designed to draw repeat visits from history buffs over the course of its four-year run.
The first year's installment is subtitled "Soldier," to be followed in subsequent Aprils by segments on "Family," "Presidency" and "Death"—all featuring never-before-displayed portraits, artifacts and memorabilia. Most of the items on display come from the private collection of Bill Margeson, a Chicago radio personality and Grant devotee. "He simply called us up and said: 'Hey, I have all this great Grant stuff. Would you like to display it?" said Nicole L. Louis, the museum's assistant director....
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch