Was football being played 300 years before we thought AND was it invented by the Scots?
It has been the nation’s favourite game for centuries.
And now historians have discovered evidence that suggests football is actually 350 years older than first thought.
Experts believed the modern version of the game was established in the 19th century, with earlier matches involving barbaric scraps between dozens of players on pitches two miles long.
However, documents suggest that British royals hosted less chaotic games in their courtyards in the late 15th century....
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening