King family thanks supporters as matriarch hospitalized
Coretta Scott King was hospitalized in fair condition Wednesday and a family friend said the 78-year-old widow of Martin Luther King Jr. had suffered a stroke.
King was admitted to Piedmont Hospital on Tuesday, and the family released a statement Wednesday saying she was resting comfortably. It expressed thanks for the "outpouring of care and support that's being sent from around the world."
Hospital spokeswoman Diana Lewis and the family wouldn't discuss her illness, but the Rev. Joseph Lowery said King had suffered a stroke and was having trouble speaking.
comments powered by Disqus
- Cultural historian who helped end censorship of "Lady Chatterley's Lover," dies
- Thomas Slaughter interviewed about his new book on the American Revolution
- Historian Michael Ignatieff writes a memoir explaining why he failed in politics
- Olivia Remie Constable, director of the Medieval Institute at Notre Dame since 2009, passes away
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history