Lucifer over Lancashire! Could this derelict cottage have been the setting for the Pendle witches' coven?
It was the setting for one of England’s most infamous witches’ covens.
So the discovery of a mummified cat sealed into the walls of a 17th century cottage was yesterday described by historians as ‘spellbinding’.
The unfortunate animal – associated with witches for centuries – was apparently buried alive to protect the inhabitants from evil spirits....
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse