Historic Lewis Chessmen returning to Western Isles
Six Lewis Chessmen are to be displayed long-term at a new museum on the Western Isles, where more than 90 of the historic pieces were found.
An agreement has been reached between Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) and the British Museum.
The British Museum will loan the six pieces to the new museum at Lews Castle, in Stornoway, from 2014.
Figures from the Lewis Chessmen have only previously been displayed on the islands on a short-term basis.
A five-month exhibition last year, called Lewis Chessmen: Unmasked, attracted more than 23,000 visitors....
comments powered by Disqus
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals