Cockneys dying out after bells muted
According to tradition, true Cockneys must be born within earshot of the bells of St Mary-le-Bow Church, Cheapside.
In days gone by, they could be heard across much of north and east London and as far south as Southwark, meaning any baby born within earshot was defined as a Cockney.
Now, research by 24 Accoustics suggests the noise of the bells only reaches the city of London and Shoreditch....
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch