Wreck reappears at beach after Isaac
FORT MORGAN, Alabama -- When Isaac lashed the Gulf Coast last week the storm gave people a glimpse into a slice of nautical history when the hurricane unveiled more of a 150-foot wooden shipwreck here than has been revealed by past storms.
The ghostly remains known to locals as the "mystery shipwreck" was uncovered at a private beach off Beach Boulevard near mile marker six just south of Fort Morgan. It has been uncovered by past storms, including Hurricane Ike four years ago and Tropical Storm Ida in 2009.
Historians in the past have been at odds as to the identity of the ship, with speculation that it was either a Civil War blockade ship or a Prohibition Era rum runner....
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch