TN ban on renaming Civil War parks passes over Dems' objectionsBreaking News
tags: South, Confederacy, Tennessee, Democrats, Republicans
Legislation that would prevent the renaming or moving of war-related monuments in Tennessee passed the state House last night. The bill comes as city officials in Memphis have renamed three Confederate-themed parks.
Democrats tried to get the bill’s sponsor – Republican Steve McDaniel – to admit he was responding to the name changes in Memphis, which he denied.
Rep. Johnnie Turner asked what if Jews hadn’t been allowed to tear down Nazi statues....
comments powered by Disqus
- Cherokee Nation Addresses Bias Against Descendants of Enslaved People
- Democrats Can't Kill the Filibuster. But they Can Gut It
- Newly Obtained FBI Files Shed New Light on the Murder of Fred Hampton
- Reading A Letter That's Been Sealed For More Than 300 Years — Without Opening It
- Shelia Washington Dies at 61; Helped Exonerate Scottsboro Boys
- Mock Slave Auctions, Racist Lessons: How US History Class Often Traumatizes, Dehumanizes Black Students
- 'More Dangerous And More Widespread': Conspiracy Theories Spread Faster Than Ever
- Online Roundtable: Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor’s ‘Race for Profit’
- Should Black Northerners Move Back to the South?
- The Deep South Has a Rich History of Resistance, as Amazon Is Learning