Adam Laats: Get In Line, David Bartontags: conservatism, education, David Barton, Adam Laats, blogs
Adam Laats researches and writes about conservative educational activism.
What history books should American school children read?
Most recently, the history darling-in-chief among many conservatives has been Wallbuilders’ David Barton. Glenn Beck, Mike Huckabee, and other conservative politicians have praised Barton’s vision of American history.
For those who haven’t followed the story lately, here’s a brief synopsis: Barton claims to be the best historian around, the only one honest and dedicated enough to discover the real Christian intention of most of the Founding Fathers. His latest book, The Jefferson Lies, came under brutal attack for its historical inaccuracies and misrepresentations. The accusations came not only from partisan leftists, but also from conservative Christian critics. As a result, the original publisher pulled the book from store shelves. Glenn Beck’s publishing arm quickly picked up the title....
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets