100 years of POTUS press conferences?
NBC and other media are reporting that this year marks the 100th anniversary of the presidential press conference. On NBC Nightly News a clip of Woodrow Wilson was shown. Wilson was said to have been shocked when over 100 reporters showed up for a news conference.
Actually, the first president to hold a news conference on a regular basis was William McKinley. Teddy Roosevelt continued the tradition.
comments powered by Disqus
- New Hampshire professors at odds with library over discarded books
- Troubled history fuels Japan-China tension
- Independent Scotland's last gasp forgotten in Panama jungle
- LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’
- New exhibit at the World War I Museum ... Over by Christmas: August-December 1914
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets
- Diane Ravitch blasts the NYT for failing to understand the controversy over Common Core
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding