Frank Lloyd Wright's NY showroom a memorytags: NYT, architecture, New York City, Frank Lloyd Wright, showrooms
A small landmark of New York City architectural and automotive history disappeared recently, almost without notice. The theatrical auto showroom designed by Frank Lloyd Wright at 430 Park Avenue, at 56th Street, had displayed a number of European brands over the years, notably Mercedes-Benz from 1957 to 2012.
The space, with a spiral ramp and turntable interior, was designed in 1954 for the pioneering auto importer Max Hoffman.
In early April, the Wright interior was demolished by the owners of the building, Midwood Investment and Management and Oestreicher Properties. Debra Pickrel, a preservationist and co-author of “Frank Lloyd Wright in New York: The Plaza Years, 1954-1959” (Gibbs Smith, 2007) wrote about the showroom’s destruction in Metropolis magazine....
comments powered by Disqus